Gun Crimes Attorney in Alexandria, VA & Washington, D.C.
Defending Clients Accused of Using Deadly Weapons
The Constitution of the United States gives you the right to own a firearm, but Alexandria, VA’s and Washington, D.C.’s laws limit where you can legally carry a gun and bans owning some types of firearms within the state’s boundaries. Using your firearm while committing a felony means you could face additional criminal charges. If you have been charged with a gun crime, you need an aggressive criminal defense attorney to defend your freedom and your Constitutional right to own a firearm.
Prohibited Places to Carry a Gun
Alexandria, VA and Washington, D.C. law prohibits people from carrying firearms into certain places. These include, but are not limited to:
- Places of worship. A person convicted of carrying a firearm into a place of worship is guilty of a Class 4 Misdemeanor.
- Courthouse. A person convicted off carrying a firearm into a courthouse is guilty of a Class 1 Misdemeanor. Law enforcement may seize the weapon.
- Airport terminal. A person convicted of carrying a firearm into an airport terminal is guilty of a Class 1 Misdemeanor.
- School property. A person convicted of possessing a firearm on school property or on a school bus is guilty of a Class 6 Felony. If the person uses or intends to use the firearm, or displays it in a threatening manner, they are guilty of a Class 6 Felony with a mandatory prison sentence of five years, served consecutive to any other sentence.
- Public areas. Some areas of Alexandria, VA prohibit carrying a loaded semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol equipped with a magazine that holds 20 rounds of ammunition or more.
Use or Display of a Firearm in Committing a Felony
Laws specify that using or displaying a firearm while committing another felony constitutes a “separate and distinct” felony charge. Anyone convicted of this charge faces a mandatory prison sentence of three years for a first conviction, and five years for any subsequent convictions. These run consecutively to any penalties resulting from the primary felony.
Have You Been Charged With a Gun Crime?
Alexandria, VA and Washington, D.C., take gun crimes seriously. If you have been charged with a gun crime, you need aggressive legal representation from an experienced criminal defense attorney who understands the intricacies of Alexandria, VA’s gun crimes laws to protect your freedom and your Constitutional right to own a firearm. Whether you have been charged with a misdemeanor or a felony, the attorneys at S.L. England, PLLC, have the courtroom experience to build the strongest defense for you.
“I highly recommend S.L.England!”- Karina Alvarado
“Highly recommended! Great Work Sherdian!”- Norma B.
“Thank you for all of your help.”- Regelle T.