Consumer Protection Attorney in Washington, D.C. & Virginia
Protecting our Clients’ Safety & Finances
As a consumer, you expect businesses to uphold their end of the contracts and warranties they give you for their products or services. When they fail to do so, you may suffer financial or other harm, so Washington D.C. and Federal laws protect you from unethical business practices. The attorneys at S.L. England, PLLC, have the courtroom experience hold businesses accountable when they fail to protect consumers.
Some unethical companies prey on unsuspecting consumers with false promises or misrepresentations in transactions. This may include misrepresenting the quality of goods; selling secondhand goods without disclosing that the goods are used; or claiming that repairs or modifications have been performed when they have not. Several federal laws also provide consumer protection.
- Truth in Lending Act: Your creditors must explain in print the exact terms of your loan.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act: You have the right to the privacy of your medical information.
- Fair Credit Billing Act: Creditors must correct billing errors with due diligence.
- Consumer Product Safety Act: Products that cause substantial risks of injury or death must be recalled.
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act: Creditors may not harass consumers when attempting to collect debts.
- Fair Credit Reporting Act: You have the right to dispute mistakes in your credit report and dispute fraudulent charges made because of identity theft.
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act: Mortgage lenders cannot advertise low rates and then use bait-and-switch to charge high rights for kickbacks.
- Pure Food and Drug Act: Food and drugs must be properly labeled, and active ingredients disclosed.
- National Do Not Call Registry: You have the right to choose whether you receive telemarketing calls from companies by registering your landline or cell phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry. Companies are not supposed to call you with solicitations once your phone number is registered.
If you have been subjected to fraudulent businesses practices that violate Washington, D.C. or Federal laws, you need an experienced, aggressive consumer protection attorney to fight for you. Businesses must be held accountable for the financial and other harm they cause you. The attorneys at S.L. England, PLLC, have the courtroom experience to argue your case in any court.